Masters and Doctoral studies involve both training and research. In addition to training in research, which is particularly emphasised, lectured master’s degrees also include advanced course work on a postgraduate level.

At the NWU research is conducted mainly in a number of approved research entities. Each of the research entities functions under the guidance of a research director. The research director, or person responsible for research, provides guidance to the staff and postgraduate students who participate in the research work of the research entity, and he/she is also responsible for managing the research entity. In this regard, research directors act in close consultation with school directors and deans. The research entities are tasked to promote quality and become competitive at an international level.


Something went wrong. Please refresh the page and/or try again.

Frequently Asked Questions

Where can I find my graduation date?

To get your date for your graduation, you can follow this link.

Where can I get more info on being an NWU Alumni?

Congratulations on completing your degree and welcome to the NWU Alumni! Start by joining this great community and become part of the family. Follow the link from the campus that you attended to get more info from the Facebook pages.
Vaal Triangle

Where can I find more info on bursaries and loans?

We have some great bursaries available for you at the NWU. You can go to our website and visit the Bursaries & Loans department.
Here are all the options:
1. If you are looking to study undergrad visit this page and fill in a form for all the bursaries.
2. However if you are furthering your studies by applying for postgrad you can check out this page:
FUNDI can also be contacted, either online at: https://my.fundi.co.za/
3. The NWU also offers bursaries for teachers at the following link: http://www.funzalushaka.doe.gov.za/home.jsp